Saturday, March 8, 2008

Shilin Night Market






















(It might look like penis, but it's not. It's...tempura? and pig's blood brown rice cakes. I think.)
Seriously guys. Do you know what it means when I say that this town smells like the mouth piece of my grandmother's algae colored rotary phone? ALL THE TIME! Or it could be the stinky tofu. Because I had it 'bout 6-7 hours ago and it hasn't even begun to leave my system yet. More like it's stuck in my pores. Maybe permanently. But it was mighty scrumptious, amongst other dirt cheap foods that I keep trying at these night markets.
We had cool noodles tonight and it was orgasmic! Not like chocolate orgasmic - but peanut sauce orgasmic. We had tapioca drinks where the tapioca was fresh (but doesn't mean I don't miss powered blizzards), and all kinds of red bean desserts. And dude! they even make falafel/fajita/gyro-like things and it looks authentic too! Didn't try it though...just not at the homesick/missing western food phase yet. Except for some good ole NYC pizza...mmmmm.


Anyway, here's a picture of my desk. If you look closely, there's a little bulletin pad that has my name on it. I love that I have my own set of everything: pens, white board markers, cd case, drawer - COMPLETE with 'Connie' labels and all! I hate that I can't avoid picking up a half-assed British accent. The teachers, all the phonics audio tapes we play for the kids - it's brainwashing. I thought I was becoming quite good but apparently, I'm giving Teacher Issac and Teacher James the chills. And Teacher James is actually from London or whatever.

And somebody find me a nail/hair/beauty salon that actually waxes!! It's literally unheard of over here and I refuse to go on wolfing it. A howl to those of you who are though.

No comments: